Makes 4 sandwiches
Smoked turkey leg pate (see recipe below)
6 tablespoons mayo
1/2 teaspoon maggi seasoning
Pickled Cranberries (see recipe)
Crispy Turkey Skin (see recipe)
Carrots and cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
Jalapeno and cilantro, for garnish
For the Smoked Turkey Leg Pate:
1 cup smoked turkey leg, diced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons cognac
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon mirin
4 tablespoons mayo
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pickled Cranberries:
2 cups sugar
2 cups rice vinegar
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon juniper berry
1/4 teaspoon clove
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound cranberries
For the Crispy Turkey Skin
Skin from turkey
Salt and pepper
1. To make the pate: In a food processor, process turkey and walnuts until finely chopped. Add butter, cognac, fish sauce, and mirin until a smooth paste is formed. Add mayo until desired consistency; add salt and pepper to taste.
2. To make the pickled cranberries: Place sugar, vinegar, spices, and salt in a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Add washed cranberries and cook for 6 minutes, until skins are cracked and the liquid is turning red. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. To make the crispy turkey skin: Place turkey skins on sheet tray, season with salt and pepper, and place in a 500-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crispy. If a fryer is available, heat oil to 350 degrees and fry until crispy and brown, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper.
4. To assemble, slice open baguette. Spread one side with mayo. Season mayo with a couple of drops of maggi seasoning. Place baguette in 450-degree toaster oven for about a minute, or until roll is crusty and hot but won't cut the roof of your mouth. Pull baguette out, spread a generous amount of pate on the other side of the roll, and then fill with pickled cranberry, the herbs, and the veggies.
- From Chad Rosenthal (Banh Street, the Lucky Well)
Per serving: 1,228 calories, 25 grams protein, 170 grams carbohydrates, 113 grams sugar, 44 grams fat, 82 milligrams cholesterol, 1,737 milligrams sodium, 13 grams dietary fiber.