As the days become cooler and shorter, you want food that warms you up. This squash recipe dresses up a prepared soup to make it taste homemade.
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 links precooked chicken sausage, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 carton (32 ounces) butternut squash soup
1. Cook 1/2 cup orzo pasta in a large saucepan of well-salted boiling water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven; add 1 small onion, chopped, and 2 links precooked chicken sausage, sliced.
3. Cook until onion has softened and sausage has lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
4. Add 1 tablespoon chopped thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
5. Deglaze the pan with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Pour in 1 carton (32 ounces) butternut squash soup; cook until warmed through, stirring occasionally, 7-10 minutes.
6. Drain pasta; add to soup. Serve hot.