Makes 4 to 6 servings
4 to 6 chicken thighs,
Salt and pepper
11/2 cups rice
1 tablespoon oil
11/2 cups finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups water
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Put rice in bowl and cover with hot, but not boiling, water. Stir once and let soak for 5 minutes. Let drain in fine strainer for 10 to 20 minutes. Discard water.
3. Heat oil in cast iron skillet. Brown chicken and set aside.
4. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat and saute onions and celery.
5. Add rice, toast till warm, and add salt, pepper and thyme.
6. Pour in the 3 cups water and stir.
7. Arrange the chicken thighs on top of the rice mixture.
8. Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until chicken is done and rice is tender.
Per serving (based on 6 servings and made with 6 thighs): 474 calories, 45 grams protein, 40 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams sugar, 13 grams fat, 126 milligrams cholesterol, 140 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.EndText