Makes 5 burgers (6 to 7 ounces each)
8 ounces white beans (dry)
8 ounces lentils (dry)
1 sweet potato
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Soak white beans overnight in 16 ounces of water. Cook white beans in 1 quart of water until very soft (about 20-30 minutes). Strain. Puree in food processor until smooth. Add a little warm water if it gets too dry.
2. Cook lentils in 1 quart (32 ounces) of water until al dente (about 10 minutes). Strain.
3. Peel and cut sweet potato, rutabaga and parsnip into 1/4-inch cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in baking pan covered in foil for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine roasted vegetables, lentils, beans, and bread crumbs. Fold ingredients together until the mixture is even. Salt/pepper to taste. Form patties.
5. In a cast-iron pan on medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the veggie burgers on both sides to brown. Finish in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.