Much as I love a big, beefy steak on the grill, sometimes I need something lighter.
My new favorite is cauliflower — sliced into two thick "steaks." In this recipe, I've topped them with poached eggs and truffle oil, creating a delicious sauce.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks With Poached Eggs and Truffle Oil
Makes 2 servings
1 large head cauliflower
Salt, ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon vinegar
Truffle oil (or truffle-flavored olive oil)
1. Heat a grill to medium. Bring a large saucepan of water to a low simmer.
2. Trim away the leaves and stem at the base of the cauliflower. Stand it upright on its base. Trim 1/2 inch on either side of the head. Then slice in half. Sprinkle each with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice.
3. Set the "steaks" on the grill, cover and cook for 8 minutes. Flip; grill for another 8 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, add the vinegar to the simmering water. Crack 1 egg into a small glass, then slowly pour it into the water Cook for 4 minutes; use a slotted spoon to lift egg onto the cauliflower steaks. Repeat.
8. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with truffle oil. Serve immediately.