Makes 16 to 20 servings
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, room temperature,
cut into cubes
2 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. Combine flour, sugar, and butter into crumbs in a large bowl, using two knives, a pastry blender, or your fingers. Reserve one cup of crumbs for the topping.
3. In a separate large bowl, add the baking soda and molasses to the boiling water. Stir until fizzy.
4. Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl with the butter, flour, and sugar. Stir to combine. Pour combined mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the reserved crumb mixture.
5. Cook for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Check if it is done by inserting a knife. If knife comes up wet, bake for a few more minutes.
Per serving (based on 20): 279 calories, 3 grams protein, 51 grams carbohydrates, 29 grams sugar, 10 grams fat, 24 milligrams cholesterol, 288 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber.