Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Morning adds another homicide to weekend’s three

A man was shot dead early this morning on the 3900 block of Aspen Street in the city's Mantua section, police said.

A man was shot dead early this morning on the 3900 block of Aspen Street in the city's Mantua section, police said.

The homicide was the fourth in the city since Friday.

Early Saturday morning, a boy and a man were killed outside a North Philadelphia nightclub, and last night a man was arrested in the fatal stabbing of his brother yesterday.

This morning's victim was Theodore Jenkins, 36, who lived on the 3900 block of Reno Street, a few blocks north of Aspen.

He was found at about 1:47 a.m., shot several times in the torso, and was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:10 a.m.

Homicide detectives are looking for witnesses, trying to determine a motive and possible suspects.

Yesterday, a 22-year-old man killed his brother and stabbed his mother during an argument at their Oxford Circle home, police said.

Dale Wilson, 19, died after being stabbed multiple times in his home in the 1300 block of Greeby Street by his brother Donte Woodland, 22, homicide detectives said.

His mother was treated for a stab wound to the leg at Albert Einstein Medical Center and released.

The stabbing followed an argument over money, detectives said. Woodland was arrested and charged with murder last night.

Philadelphia police have also identified the 15-year-old boy and the man who were killed early Saturday morning when a gunman fired a 9mm semiautomatic weapon into a crowd outside a North Philadelphia nightclub.

Daemel Gaskins, 15, and Stanley Wilson, 21, both of the city's Germantown section, were among an estimated 150 people gathered in front of the Polaris Nightclub shortly after 2 a.m. It was closing time, and bouncers were trying to move the group away from the entrance of the bar, at 400 N. Ninth St., when shooting began.

Gaskins and Wilson were fatally wounded in the spray of bullets. Police still are searching for the gunman and do not know the motive, although the shooting followed an argument outside the club, according to Sgt. Bob Wilkins.

Three other men were wounded. A 20-year-old was shot in his left leg; he was in stable condition yesterday at Hahnemann Hospital. A 21-year-old had a bullet in his left foot; he was in stable condition yesterday at Jefferson University Hospital. A 23-year-old man, shot in his right thigh, was treated at Hahnemann and released on Saturday.

Police have not identified the three men because they are witnesses. Wilkins said he did not know whether any of the victims knew one another or the gunman. Contrary to previous news reports, there had been no fight inside the bar, he said, adding that Polaris has ample security and is not known as a trouble spot.