A 22-year-old man shot by police in West Oak Lane on Wednesday night was recovering Thursday at Einstein Medical Center, according to his father and hospital officials.

Tyler Nichols was in fair condition, said a hospital spokesman. Nichols had arrived at the hospital in critical condition.

Nichols' father, James, said in a brief interview Thursday morning that "he's fine," but that he had not been able to talk to his son because he was recovering.

Police said Tyler Nichols was shot Wednesday night in an alley along the 6400 block of Lambert Street when he pointed a gun at police officers from whom he had been running away.

Plainclothes officers initially stopped Nichols about 8:35 p.m. in the 2000 block of Chelten Avenue, police said. The officers had seen him leaving a known drug location with another man, and saw them attempt to enter a silver Acura, which set off the car's alarm, according to police.

The officers approached the men, and patted them down and felt a gun in Nichols' waistband, police said. Nichols then ran and pointed his 9mm gun at the officers who were pursuing him, police said. It was allegedly loaded with 11 rounds, but police did not say if he fired.

Three officers fired at Nichols, according to police, but he continued pointing his gun at them as he ran into the alley. One officer fired again, leading Nichols to fall and let go of the gun. Police later discovered it had been reported stolen in a 2014 burglary in Upper Darby.

Nichols suffered gunshot wounds to the torso and legs, police said. One of the officer's rounds also entered a house on the 2000 block of 65th Avenue. Police said no injuries were reported.

James Nichols declined to comment on the police account of events. "I don't really have too much to say until I'm able to talk to my son," he said.

Court records show that Tyler Nichols in 2012 was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to robbery, burglary, and related counts as a teenager. In that incident, according to a criminal complaint, he pointed a gun at a 10-year-old girl to get inside a house on the 5600 block of Florence Avenue, then stole belongings from her brother's bedroom before fleeing. He was released from prison last April, court records show.