NEWARK, N.J. -- After dispatching the Pittsburgh Penguins in Round 1, the Flyers have captured the city of Philadelphia. Or, at least that's what the ratings say.
We've already noted that the NBC ratings for Game 1 against New Jersey on Sunday were up 121 percent from last year's Game 1 against Boston.
But the numbers from Game 2 were truly staggering for hockey in Philadelphia.
According to the overnight ratings, the Flyers' Game 2 loss on NBC Sports Network on Tuesday night nearly doubled the combined local viewership of both the Sixers' playoff win in Chicago and the Phillies' game in Atlanta.
Here are the numbers, as provided by the NHL:
Flyers on NBC Sports Network (7:30p-10:15p) - 12.4 rating, 19 share, 372,000 households and 607,000 viewers
Sixers on TNT (8:15-10:45p) - 2.2 rating, 3 share, 67,000 households, 95,000 viewers
Sixers on CSN-PH (8:00p-10:30p) - 1.6 rating, 2 share, 49,000 households, 56,000 viewers
Sixers on combined TNT/CSN-PH - 116,000 gross households and 151,000 gross viewers
Phillies on TCN (7:00p-10:00p) - 4.8 rating, 8 share, 145,000 households and 194,000 viewers
Sixers (combined TNT/CSN-PH) and Phillies (on TCN) combined ratings: 261,000 households, 345,000 viewers.
Nationally, Game 2 drew 1.29 million viewers - still a relatively small number among major four sports - and it was the third most-watched game nationally on cable in the playoffs. Here is the list, courtesy of Puck the Media: (The Flyers were involved in four of them)
Top 10 Most-watched Games of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs on Cable
1. Washington vs. NY Rangers, Game 2 (4/30/12, NBCSN): 1.53 million
2. Washington vs. Boston, Game 7 (4/25/12, NBCSN): 1.32 million
3. New Jersey vs. Philadelphia, Game 2 (5/1/12, NBCSN): 1.29 million
4. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, Game 5 (4/20/12, NBCSN): 1.07 million
5. Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia, Game 4 (4/18/12, NBCSN): 1.03 million
6. Ottawa vs. NY Rangers, Game 7 (4/26/12, NBCSN): 984,000
7. New Jersey vs. Florida, Game 7 (4/26/12, NBCSN): 867,000
8. NY Rangers vs. Ottawa, Game 6 (4/23/12, NBCSN): 861,000
9. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, Game 1 (4/11/12, NBCSN): 847,000
10. Los Angeles vs. Vancouver, Game 5 (4/22/12, NBCSN): 817,000
The puck drops on Game 3 at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday night in Newark on the NBC Sports Network.
For the latest updates, follow Frank Seravalli on Twitter: @DNFlyers