Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Center City hotel evacuated due to smoke

Authorities have evacuated a hotel in Center City after smoke was reported in the basement due to a circuit-breaker malfunction.

Crews were called to the Sheraton at 201 N. 17th St. after an alarm went off shortly before 4:30 a.m., according to the Philadelphia Fire Department. Emergency responders found light smoke in the basement.

All guests and workers -- a total of about 1,000 people -- have been evacuated while fire officials investigate.

The fire department said the smoke was coming from a circuit breaker panel in a mechanical room. The panel supplied electricity to the mezzanine and ballroom areas. Peco was called to the scene to investigate.

No injuries were reported.