LOS ANGELES (Variety.com) - The actors and actresses who generate the most money for Hollywood aren't always the ones with the highest salaries. Last week, Forbes magazine posted a list of the actors who provide the worst return on investment; this week the magazine tallied the highest-grossing actors overall according to figures from BoxOfficeMojo.
1. Jennifer Lawrence is the highest grossing actor in Hollywood with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past." The two films grossed a total $1.4 billion worldwide.
2. Chris Pratt, with his lead roles in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "The Lego Movie," grossed $1.2 billion globally.
3. Scarlett Johansson grossed $1.18 billion worldwide with her roles in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," "Lucy" and "Under the Skin."
4. Mark Wahlberg starred in "Transformers: Age of Extinction," which grossed $1 billion worldwide, and "The Gambler," which is estimated to have made $5 million on its Dec. 25 release.
5. Chris Evans' lead roles in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Snowpiercer" grossed $801 million globally.
6. Emma Stone starred not just in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" but also in two indie hits: Woody Allen's "Magic in the Moonlight" and "Birdman," with all three totaling $764 million worldwide so far.
7. Angelina Jolie's earnings as the director of "Unbroken" don't figure into this list, but it doesn't matter since "Maleficent" was her biggest hit to date as an actress, with a total $758 million worldwide.
8.-10. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman typically split their time between blockbusters and indie films. While "X-Men" racked up $746 million worldwide, McAvoy's role in "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" and Fassbender's in Sundance favorite "Frank" didn't add much to their total gross figure.