Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 pounds of penne pasta
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 small leek, cleaned and chopped (white part only)
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
of stem and florets
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
1 12-ounce package of frozen peas
2 cans of tuna, drained
2 teaspoons dried basil
Lemon juice and zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
Grated black pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil (enough to hold the pasta and the vegetables).
2. Cook the pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a small amount of olive oil in a small saute pan, and saute the garlic and leeks until just cooked. Set aside.
4. Add the chopped broccoli to the boiling water and pasta. Continue cooking for 2 additional minutes.
5. Add the asparagus and peas to the boiling pot, and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Drain the pasta and vegetables. Immediately add the tuna, basil, sauteed leek and garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a splash more olive oil if needed. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat, if desired. Garnish with chopped parsley. Toss and serve.
Per serving: 390 calories; 22 grams protein; 57 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams sugar; 8 grams fat;
77 milligrams cholesterol; 71 milligrams sodium;
3 grams dietary fiber.