Makes 6 to 8 servings
¼ cup olive oil
1. Wash and prep the vegetables.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-
bottomed pot over medium heat.
3. Add the onion, carrots, and celery.
Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
4. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt.
Cook for 5 minutes longer.
5. Add, and bring to a boil, 4 cups of water and
4 cups of chicken stock.
6. When boiling, add the potatoes, turnips,
and cabbage, and cook 15 minutes more,
then taste for salt, and adjust as necessary.
7. Add beans, stir and cook for 5 more
8. Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with olive
oil and Parmesan cheese.
- From The Art of Simple Food,
by Alice Waters (Potter, 2007)
Per serving: 415 calories, 9 g fat, no cholesterol,
470 mg sodium, 68 g carbs, 22 g dietary fiber,
9 g sugar, 21 g protein.