10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, which will occur within a few weeks and are within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. 14th annual Pennsylvania Arts & Craft Country Festival. May 25-28. Washington County, Pa. About 160 booths featuring hand-painted appliqué and tapestry fashions, dried florals, custom-made jewelry, and aromatherapy. Also, bands and a petting zoo. 724-863-4577.
2. 24th annual Pungo Strawberry Festival.
May 26-27. Virginia Beach. Fresh strawberries, a parade, three stages with live music, a carnival, and more than 100 arts and crafts vendors. 757-721-9335; www.pungostrawberryfestival.info.
3. Asian Festival. May 26-27. Columbus, Ohio. Celebrate the sights, sounds and tastes of Asia with a market, cuisine, stage performances, cultural booths and children's activities. www.asian-festival.org; 614-457-1311.
4. Balticon 41: The Maryland Regional Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention. May 25-28. Baltimore. Join science-fiction enthusiasts, authors, publishers, artists and musicians. Also, an art show, concerts, dances, and gaming and computer rooms. www.balticon.org; 410-563-2737.
5. Adirondack Polka Festival. May 26-27. Old Forge, N.Y. Polka bands play while authentic Polish fare is served. Polka Mass at noon Sunday. www.oldforgeny.com; 315-369-6983.
6. Rocky Road Music and Arts Festival.
May 25-28. Loudon, N.H. More than 20 bands perform on 75 acres of forested campgrounds with 900-foot mountains as a backdrop. 617-642-5222; www.eventbrite.com/event/43032712.
7. Sheep-Shearing Weekend. May 26-27. Woodstock, Vt. See the spring shearing of the Southdown flock, carding and wool spinning, plus games and planting of the heirloom garden. www.billingsfarm.org; 802-457-2355.
8. West Virginia Three Rivers Festival. May 24-26. Fairmont, W.Va. Annual community festival celebrates Civil War-era history with a parade, pageants, fireworks and reenactors. 304-363-2625.
9. PirateFest. May 26. Newport, R.I. A full day and evening of swashbuckling fun, with a treasure hunt, boat cruises, historic reenactments, sea-chantey singers, crafts, costume contests, and a family pirate school. www.piratefest.net; 1-800-459-4922.
10. 42d annual Morgan Horse Open Barn. May 26-28. Old Lyme, Conn. Equestrian lovers get a chance to see newborn foals, young horses in training, and demonstrations.