10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, which will occur within a few weeks and are within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Lake George Elvis Festival. June 1-3. Lake George, N.Y. A contest for Elvis tribute artists, a parade, fireworks, vendors, luncheon, and a gospel service. www.lakegeorgeelvisfest.com; 518-668-2200.
2. Herndon Festival 2007. May 31-June 3. Herndon, Va. Commemorating the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, the event offers live entertainment on three stages, international food, carnival rides and games, children's entertainment, 10k and 5k races, and a model railway exhibit. www.herndon-va.gov/festival/; 703-787-7300.
3. The Gold Wings and Ribs Festival. June 1-2. Pomeroy, Ohio. Combines motorcycle tours of the area, motorcycle-lights parades, and live entertainment with voting for "Ohio's Best Ribs." www.goldwingsandribs.com; 740-992-0486.
4. Vermont Balloon and Music Festival.
June 1-3. Essex Junction, Vt. See the early morning and dusk balloon launches, take a ride, meet the balloonists, and volunteer to help set up the balloons. Also, food, crafts, fireworks and a concert. www.cvfair.com; 802-878-5545.
5. Junior Railroaders Day. June 2. North Conway, N.H. Youngsters can see model railroad layouts, take hand-car and train rides, get their faces painted, and win prizes. 1-800-232-5251.
6. Whistles, Wings and Wildflowers Weekend. June 1-3. Cass, W.Va. Combines a birding and wildflower train with a weekend full of nature walks, talks, and exploration of the outdoors at high elevations, led by experts. www.cassrailroad.com; 304-456-4300.
7. Rhode Island Sustainable Living Festival and Renewable Energy Expo. June 2. Coventry, R.I. An entertainment and education extravaganza for a cleaner and greener future, with more than 40 workshops, folk, rock and blues performances, and children's program. www.livingfest.org; 401-397-3430.
8. 9th annual Victorian Home Tour. June 2-3. Willimantic, Conn. House tours of the town's "painted ladies" and walking tours through the Victorian neighborhoods and gardens. Also, a Victorian Tea, pony rides and old-fashioned games. 860-456-4476.
9. 25th annual American Indian Festival
and Pow Wow. June 2-3. Waldorf, Md. Dancing, drumming, singing, demonstrations, pony rides, jewelry, crafts, food, exhibits and a kids corner. www.piscatawayindians.org; 301-782-2224.
10. 34th annual Street Rod Nationals East. June 1-3. York, Pa. See 4,200 pre-1949 street rods, exhibits, ladies' arts and crafts, and live entertainment. www.nsra-usa.com; 888-858-9675.
- Cody GlennEndText