10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, which will occur within a few weeks and are within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Latin Fest. June 8-9. Virginia Beach. Dance to the beat of salsa, meringue, mambo and bachata tunes played by local and national bands. Board the Salsa Cruise, and sample Latin arts and crafts, merchandise and food. www.beachstreetusa.com; 757-491-7866.
2. Strawberry Weekend. June 9-10. Monongahela, Pa. Hayrides to the patch, refreshments and, of course, homegrown strawberries. Plus, children can see farm animals and ride a farm train and a pony. www.triplebfarms.com/strawberry.html; 724-258-3557.
3. Columbus Rose Festival. June 9-10. Columbus, Ohio. Celebrate beauty, nature and the environment with more than 11,000 rose bushes, educational exhibits, and workshops on plant care. 614-645-3350;www.columbusrecparks.com. 4. Western Maryland Loggers/Forestry Field Day. June 8-9. McHenry, Md. A sled-pulling contest, a chainsaw carver, and a program with birds of prey and reptiles help showcase the state's forest resources. http://iaa.umd.edu/mfa/fieldays.htm; 301-895-5369.
5. 53rd annual Polish Festival. June 8-10. Syracuse, N.Y. Highlights include Polish cuisine, 13 acts, arts and crafts, dancing, crowning of Ms. Polonia and children's entertainment. www.polishscholarship.com; 1-800-234-4797.
6. 36th annual Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival. June 8-10. Harpers Ferry, W.Va. About 200 artists and craftspeople will demonstrate and sell their wares. Also, wine tasting, children's activities, and live bluegrass music. 1-800-624-0577; www.jeffersoncounty.com/festival.
7. Day of Portugal Weekend Festival.
June 8-10. New Bedford, Mass. The rich culture of Portugal is brought to life by artists, entertainment on three stages, and food. 508-990-3703.
8. Start with the Arts Family Festival.
June 8-9. Washington, D.C. Music and stage performances, art workshops, a children's book fair, and a celebrity story hour. www.vsarts.org/x1266.xml; 202-628-2800.
9. 3rd annual Disc Golf Amateur Challenge Tournament. June 9. Manchester, Conn. Open to all skill levels, this singles tournament will consist of two rounds of disc golf. 860-280-5677.
10. International Film Festival. June 5-10. Newport, R.I. Weeklong festival features documentaries, shorts, feature-length films and animation. Iincludes a children's program. www.newportfilmfestival.com; 401-846-9100.
- Cody Glenn