10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Erie Summer Festival of the Arts. June 26-28. Erie, Pa. A family-friendly weekend event with arts and craft vendors, live entertainment, juried art competitions, children's activities and more. 814-838-0971; www.goerie.com/artsfestival.
2. Bowdoin International Music Festival. Brunswick, Maine. June 27 - Aug. 8. More than 80 concerts, many free of charge, showcase musicians from about 30 countries presenting classical and contemporary chamber music. 207-725-3000; www.summermusic.org.
3. Summer Seafood Festival. Tilghman Island, Md. June 27. Local seafood, live music, crab races, crafts, Queen and Little Miss contests, artisans, and a firefighter parade. 410-886-2677; www.tilghmanmd.com.
4. Newport Flower Show. Newport, R.I. June 26-28. Stroll blooming gardens and themed floral exhibits and photography exhibits. There's also a gardeners' marketplace offering specialty plants, flower stalls and garden accessories. 401-847-1000; www.newportflowershow.org.
5. Olde New England Day Brewfest. Lincoln, N.H. June 27. Grab your pint glass and sample beer from breweries from across New England. 603-745-6621; www.lincolnwoodstock.com.
6. Through the Seasons: Japanese Art in Nature. Williamstown, Mass. June 7 - Oct. 18. This exhibition brings together screens and scrolls from the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries and displays them with contemporary ceramics, emphasizing the inspirational role of nature in Japanese art. 413-458-2303; www.clarkart.edu.
7. London Strawberry Festival. London, Ohio. June 24-27. Entertainment, rides and games, parades, a car show, and a salute to everything strawberry. 740 852-2250; www.londonstrawberryfestival.com.
8. Music in the Mountains Bluegrass Festival. Summerville, W.Va. June 24-27. Country and bluegrass musicians celebrate the 29th anniversary of this musical event. 304-872-6853; www.aandabluegrass.com.
9. Shakespeare Festival. Buffalo, N.Y. June 18-July 12. A beautiful outdoor stage is the setting for live performances of Shakespeare's stories that explore the truths of the human heart: tragedy, jealousy, foolishness, passion, laughter, and love. 716-856-4533; www.shakespeareindelawarepark.org.
10. Hampton Jazz Festival. Hampton, Va. June 26-28. Babyface, George Benson and Michael McDonald are among the headliners of this festival of soul, pop, jazz and the blues. 757-838-5650; www.hamptoncoliseum.org.
- Erica Lamberg