You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. National Christmas Tree Walk. Hershey, Pa. Through Dec. 27. Stroll through Hershey Gardens and see a tree decorated for each state and Washington, D.C. 1-800-437-7439; www.hersheypa.com.
2. 2009 Holiday Pops. Boston. Through Dec. 27. One of the city's most famous attractions, the Boston Pops performs a repertoire of holiday favorites. After the concert, take a photo with Santa. 1-888-266-1200; www.bso.org.
3. Community Christmas Tree Lighting. Williamsburg, Va. Dec. 24. Colonial-inspired storytelling, refreshments, and other period holiday events set the scene for the traditional tree lighting. 1-800-447-8670; www.history.org.
4. Holiday in the Park. Parkersburg, W.Va. Through Dec. 31. Two city parks are packed with drive-through holiday and animated light displays. 304-480-2655; www.parkersburg-wv.com/pages/tours/holidayinthepark.htm.
5. Downtown Holiday Market. Washington. Through Dec. 23. An outdoor showcase of jewelry, pottery, paintings, and textiles made by local artisans, plus live music and food. 202-638-3232; www.downtowndc.org.
6. Gaithersburg Winter Lights Festival. Gaithersburg, Md. Through Jan. 2. Drive through a 3.5-mile Winter Wonderland, with animated and still light displays. 301-258-6350; www.gaithersburgmd.gov.
7. Horse-drawn Carriage Rides. Bronx, N.Y. Weekends through Dec. 27. Clydesdales will take guests on wagon rides around the Bronx Zoo. Also, ice carving, live reindeer, and presents for the animals. 718-220-5100; www.bronxzoo.org.
8. Northern Lights. Freeport, Maine. Through Jan. 1. Lights throughout L.L. Beans' corporate grounds, demonstrations, crafts for children, horse-drawn carriages, carolers, and other entertainment. 1-877-755-2326; www.llbean.com/shop/retailStores/calendar.html?qs=5677065-RDevents.
9. Island Pond Christmas Bird Count. Island Pond, Vt. Dec. 21. An annual bird survey, tracking species including the gray jay, boreal chickadee, and black-backed woodpecker. 802-723-6551; www.northwoodscenter.org.
10. Lighted Winter Wonderland. Candia, N.H. Weekends through Dec. 27. A horse-drawn sleigh through holiday scenes and light displays, with costumed characters along the way. Also, a bonfire, petting zoo, and refreshments. 603-483-5623; www.visitthefarm.com.
- Erica LambergEndText