10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Holiday American Marketplace. Greensburg, Pa. Through Jan. 10. Find unique gifts from craftsmen, designers, and artists, including candles, scarves, tapestries, pottery, vases, and jewelry. 724-837-1500; www.wmuseumaa.org.
2. Historic Food Preservation Workshop. Madison, N.J. Jan. 10. See how Colonials preserved food so it would last through the winter. Experts lead open-hearth and fire-cooking demonstrations. 973-377-2982; www.metc.org/calendar.htm.
3. ICE! at Gaylord National Resort. National Harbor, Md. Through Jan. 10. Walk through a winter wonderland made entirely of ice, with 10 holiday scenes. 301-965-2000; www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-national/index.html.
4. National Geographic: Real Pirates. Norfolk, Va. Through April 4. An exhibition that tells the story of a pirate ship that sank off Cape Cod nearly 300 years ago. Treasure chests of jewelry, coins, gold, and weaponry will be on display. 757-664-1000; www.nauticus.org.
5. Providence Boat Show. Providence, R.I. Jan. 7-10. Featuring boats, kayaks, powerboats, small sailing craft, and equipment, with demonstrations and lectures. 401-846-1115; www.providenceboatshow.com.
6. Lake Morey WinterFest. Fairlee, Vt.
Jan. 10. Winter fun includes Nordic skating, snowshoe hikes, cross-country skiing, winter travel-skill workshops, sledding, ice cutting, igloo building, music, storytelling, and dogsledding demos. 802-333-3405; www.alohafoundation.org/hulbert.
7. Quilts=Arts=Quilts. Auburn, N.Y. Through Jan. 10. A juried contemporary quilt show featuring art quilts from around the world. Also, workshops and lectures. 315- 255-1553; www.schweinfurthartcenter.org.
8. The 6th Annual Great Penguin Race. North Conway, N.H. Jan. 10. Rubber penguins race down a specially designed slide to raise funds for a local children's museum. 603-356-5544; www.cranmore.com.
9. Holiday Magic at the U.S. Botanic Garden. Washington. Jan. 10. Displays include an enchanted storybook garden with trains, holiday trees, poinsettias, and other holiday plants. 202-225-8333; www.usbg.gov.
10. Punderson Classic Dog Sled Races. Newbury, Ohio. Jan. 9-10. Watch teams cover courses through woods and open fields. 440-564-9144; www.friendsofpunderson.com.
- Erica Lamberg