10 for the Road
10 for the Road You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Allegheny River Sojourn. Warren, Pa. June 12-13. Nature lovers can take a scenic canoe trip to watch eagles, blue herons, and other birds. Along the way, there will be discussions, nature activities, and other programs. 724-459-0953; www.waterlandlife.org/287.
2. Rhode Island Scottish Heritage Festival. Richmond, R.I. June 12. Celtic musicians, Highland dancing, sheep-dog demonstrations, children's games, food vendors. 401-596-7761; www.riscot.org.
3. Food & Wine Festival at National Harbor. National Harbor, Md. June 12-13. Celebrity chef demonstrations, culinary discussions, special dinners, wine tastings, and children's activities. 443-716-2800; www.foodandwinenh.com.
4. Rochester International Jazz Festival. Rochester, N.Y. June 11-19. Scheduled headliners include Herbie Hancock, Gladys Knight, and Jeff Beck. Also, rising stars and improvisational musicians. 585-454-2060; www.rochesterjazz.com.
5. Spring Mountain Heritage Arts & Crafts Festival. Harpers Ferry, W.Va. June 11-13. Crafters and artists from more than 20 states will sell their wares. With bluegrass and string musicians, wine tastings, and food vendors. 1-800-624-0577; www.jeffersoncountywvchamber.org.
6. Heritage Days. Bowling Green, Ohio. June 12-13. An antique tractor show with restored tractors, gas engines, and farm equipment; hands-on farm demonstrations; a kids' pedal pull; and a tractor parade. 419-352-0967; www.woodcountytourism.com.
7. Silver Kingdom Renaissance Festival. Charlton, Mass. June 12-13 and 19-20. Discover drama, swordplay, and music, and browse and buy from crafters and merchants. 413-248-7573; www.kingdomfestival.com.
8. Roots on the River Festival. Bellows Falls, Vt. June 10-13. Several venues in town host musicians performing folk, blues, acoustic, and gospel music. 802-463-9595; www.rootsontheriver.com.
9. Farmington Antiques Weekend. Farmington, Conn. June 12-13. Outdoor tents will be brimming with merchandise, including jewelry, fine and rustic furniture, table linens, ornaments, oil paintings, silver, and nautical items. 317-598-0012; www.farmingtonantiquesweekend.com.
10. Acadia Birding Festival. Bar Harbor, Maine. June 10-13. Early-morning bird walks led by experts, lectures, falcon watches, and programs about species and their habitats. 207-288-8128; www.acadiabirdingfestival.com.
- Erica Lamberg