10 for the Road
10 for the Road You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Pocono Nature Fest. Lake Ariel, Pa. June 26. Learn about wildlife and nature up-close through live animals, hands-on activities, conservation organizations, and tours. 570- 689-9494; www.lacawac.org.
2. Rochester Harbor and Carousel Festival. Rochester, N.Y. June 25-27. Watch the illuminated nighttime boat parade, ride an antique carousel, listen to live music, and enjoy children's activities. 585-428-5990; www.visitrochester.com.
3. St. Albans RiverFest. St. Albans, W.Va. June 24-27. Live gospel and country music performances, parades, river activities, games, tractor pulls, and fireworks. 304-727-7251; www.stalbansriverfest.com.
4. Harmony Farm Peony Festival. Hartland, Vt. June 27. Celebrate the flower's harvest with workshops, walking tours, plant and flower sales, live music, crafts, food, and children's activities. 802-436-3300; www.harmonyfarmpeonyfestival.com.
5. Sand Sculpture Event 2010. Hampton Beach, N.H. June 18-30. Admire the sand creations of 15 master sculptures. The completed creations are sprayed with glue and water to protect them from the elements so they can remain on display on the beach. 603-926-8717; www.hamptonbeach.org/sandcastle-competition.cfm.
6. Tilghman Island Summer Seafood Festival. Tilghman Island, Md. June 26. Feast on local seafood, browse artists' and vendors' goods, watch crab races, and enjoy live music. 410-886-2677; www.tilghmanmd.com. 7. National Capital Barbecue Battle. Washington. June 26-27. Taste ribs, chicken, and sauces and see cooking demonstrations. Also, three stages with about 30 live bands, celebrity chefs, and lots for youngsters to do. 301-860-0630; www.bbqdc.com.
8. Legacy of the Arts Festival. Bar Harbor, Maine. June 20-27. Celebrate the town's rich history of art, music, and Native American culture with concerts, exhibits, workshops, tours, and art shows. 207-288-5103; www.barharborinfo.com.
9. Northern Virginia Summer Brewfest. Leesburg, Va. June 26-27. A celebration of domestic beer, with more than 50 American breweries, plus live music and a variety of foods. 703-923-0800; http://novabrewfest.com/summer.
10. Strawberry Thanksgiving. Plymouth, Mass. June 26. Celebrate the harvest of strawberries with Native American singing and dancing. Try chilled soup, desserts, and other strawberry delights. 508-746-1622; www.plimoth.org.
- Erica LambergEndText