10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta. Pittsburgh. July 3-4. Watch powerboat races; land, air and water entertainment; concerts; and the city's Flashes of Freedom fireworks. 412-281-7711; www.threeriversregatta.net.
2. Harbor Fireworks Cruise. Baltimore.
July 4. A three-hour Inner Harbor cruise to enjoy the city's skyline and the holiday fireworks. 410-268-7601; www.watermarkcruises.com/eventsfireworkscruise.htm.
3. Windfest. Davis, W.Va. July 3-4. Celebrate the wind through kite-building and kite-flying workshops, plus stunt demonstrations. Also, cookouts and family activities. 304-866-4121; www.canaanresort.com.
4. French and Indian War Encampment. Youngstown, N.Y. July 3-5. Artillery bombardments, battle reenactments, living-history camps, hands-on demonstrations for all ages, military music, and children's games. 716-745-7611; www.oldfortniagara.org.
5. Stars and Stripes Explosion. Virginia Beach, Va. July 4. Oceanfront stages feature country, folk, and patriotic music leading up to a fireworks show that bursts over the ocean. 1-800-822-3224; www.beachstreetusa.com.
6. Indie Art by the Sea Festival. Newport, R.I. July 3. Artists will present jewelry, glasswork, fine art, paintings, clothing, and other wares for sale along the scenic waterfront. Also, live music. 401-782-7006; www.indieartbythesea.com.
7. Vermont Fourth Festival. Lyndonville, Vt. July 2-4. Fiddle contests, bluegrass music, a craft fair, and strawberry dishes, including shortcake. 802-626-9696; www.vermontfourth.org.
8. Berkshires Arts Festival. Great Barrington, Mass. July 2-4. Paintings, ceramics, jewelry, glasswork, sculptures, and photography on display and for sale.
Also, pottery demonstrations, workshops, and live music. 1-800-834- 9437; www.berkshiresartsfestival.com.
9. Bar Harbor Music Festival. Bar Harbor, Maine. July 2-25. Several venues will host string orchestras, opera, and jazz and brass concerts. 212-222-1026; www.barharbormusicfestival.org.
10. Americana Festival. Centerville, Ohio. July 5. A street fair packed with entertainment, an arts-and-crafts marketplace, a baseball tournament, auto show, parades, and a presentation of the "Spirit of Americana Patriot Award." 937-433-5898; www.americanafestival.org.