10 for the Road
You can plan now to attend these weekend events, occurring within a few weeks and within a day's drive of Philadelphia.
1. Erie Summer Festival of the Arts. June 24-26. Erie, Pa. Annual festival, which started in 1968, hosts dozens of artists and craftsmen displaying their work in Liberty Park. Also, a jazz festival, children's activity area, and educational Visual Arts Workshop. 814-838-3681; www.eriesummerfestivalofthearts.org.
2. Origins Game Fair. June 22-26. Columbus, Ohio. Polish your dice and shuffle your cards - board and card games will be played tournament style. 614-255-4500; www.originsgames.com.
3. Nanticoke River Jamboree. June 24-25. Vienna, Md. Embark on an outdoor adventure with guided canoe trips, bike tours, and overnight camping trips along the historic Chesapeake Trail. 410-228-7458; nanticokeriverjamboree.com.
4. Smithfield Olden Days. June 24-25. Smithfield, Va. Go back in time with an antique-car and military-vehicle parade, historical Civil War presentations, carnival games, and a raft race. 1-800-365-9339; www.visitsmithfieldisleofwight.com.
5. Living History Weekend. June 25-26. Rowlesburg, W.Va. World War II veterans will set up camp, and there will be battle reenactments, lectures, and a WWII dance. 304-329-1240; www.rowlesburg.org.
6. Buffalo CityBration. June 23-26. Buffalo, N.Y. Celebrate the city's heritage with hot-air balloon rides, citywide scavenger hunts, and bike tours. Also, a "floating cocktail party" along the Buffalo River. 716-903-7155; www.citybration.com.
7. International Festival of Arts and Ideas. Through June 25. New Haven, Conn. Music, theater, and dance events, including a free concert by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, performances of The Cripple of Inishmaan, and experimental dance performances by Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company. 1-888-278-4332; www.artidea.org.
8. Winslowshire Renaissance Festival.
June 25-26. Norton, Mass. Everything from jousting to roaming minstrels, food, and face painting at benefit for abused-animals shelter. www.winslowshire.com.
9. Vermont Quilt Festival. June 24-26. Essex Junction, Vt. New England's largest quilting event returns for its 35th year with a historical quilt exhibition and quilting courses. Appraisals, raffles, and "wall quilt" sewing challenge. 802-872-0034; www.vqf.org.
10. 14th Great North Woods Ride-In. June 24-26. Colebrook, N.H. Thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts converge for the Annual Blessing of the Motorcycles. Also, a cookout and dance, motorcycle rodeo, and a motorcycle poker run. 1-800-698-2939; nhblessingofthebikes.tripod.com.
- Vinny Vella