You can never be too cautious, especially when you know that Penn State's trip to the Rose Bowl is going to be a really hot ticket for Nittany Lions fans.
With that in mind, the office of Pennsylvania Attorney General Bruce Beemer sent around a press release Wednesday with advice for fans planning to head to Pasadena.
- Buy tickets only from a reputable seller.
- Avoid sending money by wire transfer if possible, and if you have to do it, don't send money to people you don't know. It's better to use a credit card if you can, because you can dispute the charge if tickets are not delivered or turn out counterfeit.
- When buying tickets, take the time to read the terms and conditions offered by sellers and brokers. Also, as simple as this might sound, make sure the location of seats includes real seat numbers, rows and sections in the stadium.
- Make sure you know everything about the hotel's location. There's a history of scammers hawking hotels as being within walking distance of stadiums when they aren't.
- Make sure to have all the offers, terms and conditions of your travel package in writing, including the cancellation policy.
- Don't assume that the travel package you're looking at includes all of the required elements, such as airfare, hotel accommodations and game tickets. And be a little wary of packages presented as extremely cheap. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.