Laura Pinnie says she enjoyed her first time running the Boston Marathon, and wants to do it again.

Her father, Mark, has no plans to do it again. Running the race twice - 26 years apart - was more than enough for him.

The father-daughter pair ran in the storm-plagued, 119th running of the marathon last month, enabling Laura to become the fourth member of the family to complete the grueling run through Boston and its suburbs.

"It was quite the experience," said Laura Pinnie, an 18-year-old senior at Villa Maria Academy who finished the 26.2 miles in 4 hours, 38 minutes.

Knowing that her grandfather Anthony Pinnie and her father's sister Marie had previously run in Boston, she was determined to do it, too.

"It's always been in the back of my mind," she said. "And what better time to do it when I'm a senior and getting ready to go off to college."

Mark Pinnie, who ran the race as a lark with a bunch of his law-school buddies in 1981, didn't fare quite as well as his daughter. The 51-year-old lawyer finished in 5 hours, 10 minutes.

"I felt a real heaviness when we reached the 12-mile mark," he said with a laugh. "When we got to Wellesley, I was huffing and puffing. Laura was slowing down so I could keep up. I told her I didn't want to hold her back."

Laura Pinnie had suffered a stress fracture in a shin while training with her father, but after getting a medical OK, she was determined to run. The two began training in earnest in January. Laura conceded that the longer training runs, usually on Saturday mornings, were the toughest for her.

"It was cold many mornings, and I kept thinking that all my friends were home sleeping," said Laura, a lacrosse and tennis player for Villa who will head to Wake Forest University in the fall.

Runs to Media and Unionville from their Westtown home were among their longest, but they never went more than 20 miles.

"My grandfather always said to save your marathon for the marathon race," Laura said. She pointed out that he ran his last marathon 15 years ago at age 60. She also paid tribute to her mother, Sidney, who served as chief cheerleader and water supplier and provided the rides home after long training runs.

Mark Pinnie said that running this year was a big change from 1981. That year, there were just under 7,000 runners. This year, more than 25,000 lined up.

"It took us about 15 minutes just to walk to the starting line," he said. "In 1981, I had the mile markers listed on a wrist band. I remember somebody gave me a small cup of beer and some jelly beans. They gave me an incredible lift.

"Now, there's water and Gatorade every mile and a chip in your shoe." The chip records electronically each runner's time.

Although the Pinnies ran under a charity classification and did not have to meet the marathon's qualifying times, they know they got more out of the race than father-daughter bonding.

"We raised more than $5,000 for charity [the Lions Club of Hopkinton, Mass.] through the generous support of family and friends," Laura Pinnie said.